Inflammation can wreak havoc on our bodies. Joints ache, tissue swells, stomachs bloat, and we feel awful. This swelling is often an internal reaction. It might be due to prescriptions we are taking, post-surgical recovery, chronic conditions, our current state of health, even the food and beverages that we consume. Candid conversations with your doctor and pharmacist can help you understand what sets off your inflammation. Be proactive! Combine the care from your medical team with a home routine to help you minimize and perhaps even eliminate inflammation. Here's what works for me...
- Staying well hydrated, I drink plenty of water and I avoid caffeine.
- I limit my salt intake to a daily recommended value.
- Turmeric is a tasty and useful spice - this herb taken in capsule form works wonders to keep reduce the swelling in my ankles.
- Ice packs. I keep a variety of sizes in my freezer to use on shoulders, low back, hips, even ankles and feet.
- Daily exercise. Movement, even gentle exercise like Tai Chi or Yoga, encourages the pumping action of my veins, arteries, and lymphatic system. Think of a kink in a garden hose...when you loosen the hose water flows freely, it works the same way in your body. Stretch, stand, walk, dance, just move to free up the kinks in you!
- Elevate. Raising your feet while seated or while lying down support circulation and relieves tension.
These are simple techniques that can easily be incorporated into your day. Give one or all a try and share your results with me.
Be Well! ~Tiffany